"Dirt Paths"

"Of all the paths you take in life,
make sure a few of them are dirt"

http://reflectionsofrevelation.com/dirt-paths-8x10/

I love being outdoors, always have, always will.  Especially when my soul is downtrodden, or life seems out of control, I take to a dirt path or forest trail to let the Lord and nature speak life back into me.  It is where I find my respite and creativity. So, any time I can incorporate and outdoor adventures in my travels, I am one happy camper.

This particular photo finds myself and my sister hiking up a mountain path in Mt. Rainier National Park, in Washington State. We had a hard time finding the trail head, because it was partially hidden from the parking lot.  But we had seen it on the map, and knew that it would lead us to some amazing views of the mountain peak and mountain scenes, if we could find it. And find it, we did.

The trail did not disappoint.  We were awed and wowed by the sights and sound that the mountain had to offer.  We slipped up a steep path, sloshed through the snow, and trampled through the fallen leaves.  We crossed a stream by trekking over a huge fallen log. We crunched on the mountain gravel.  We stopped in wonder at the edge of a mountain path, and marveled at the silvery lake below us.  In short, it was an amazing time.

But the one thing we didn't notice until after our adventure was that we did not encounter a single other person on this trail.  This seemed not a very popular path, at least the day we were out and about.  We took the road less traveled, and are better for it.

Robert Frost wrote a very famous poem, with these same sentiments, called "The Road Less Traveled".  It is a timeless piece, calling forth the adventurer in each of us.  He speaks to our souls, to not always take the path everyone else does, but instead, choose the less traveled route. 

Sometimes in our lives, we stand at cross roads. Decisions must be made.  Do we choose what everyone else is doing, or wanting us to do? Do we stay the mainstream course? Do we continue doing what is comfortable, easy, normal? Or, do we need to readjust our course, find the hidden trail heads in life, and veer in direction? Can we find the courage and tenacity required to take the road less traveled? The one without all the answers? The one that might make us look foolish, or unpopular, or still yet, uncomfortable? Will we stray from the concrete and cement paths in life, and venture off, down that dirt path, when the leading deep inside us cries out to turn here? Will we follow the norm? Or follow our destiny?

I have found in life, that at times, choosing the road less traveled, and veering down a dirt path or two has been the best decision I could have made.  Hindsight is always 20/20, and at the time it may have seemed hard or dangerous or strange, but I can tell you this, I do not regret those decisions.  For they always give me the best views, and teach me the greatest life lessons.  Robert Frost was correct when he says "And that has made all the difference."

So, where do you need to take a dirt path today? Where in your life do you know you should choose the road less traveled, but are leaning for the safer, more comfortable option?  I challenge you to rethink and reflect upon those times you did choose the more challenging adventure, and it enriched your life greatly.  And don't let fear stop you from choosing the best for you today! 

 
The Road Less Traveled*
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

*I own no rights to this poem, and am simply posting it for education and entertainment value

Photo taken with iPhone 4, October 2014, Seattle, Washington.
Copyrighted Reflections of Revelation. 
www.reflectionsofrevelation.com

Comments

Popular Posts