Snake Alley Art Fair 2015

Fast Facts:
--> The Snake Alley Art Fair is in Burlington, IA
--> SAAF is held on Father's Day every day, in conjunctions with the last day of Steamboat    
      Days Music Festival
--> Snake Alley was deemed "Crookedest street in the world" by Ripley's Believe it. Or Not!
--> Curves and Gradient: five half-curves and two quarter-curves over a distance of 275 feet,
      total of 1100°



The morning was humid but overcast as we unloaded along the street curb.  There was already much clamor and motion pulsating up and down the block as we worked.  I was extremely grateful we had put so much effort into preparing and practicing our layout, as my brain was foggy from the earliness of the morning, not to mention jittery from excited-nervousness for what the day would hold.

Step by step we unloaded, set up, and prepared for the day; like clockwork - like this wasn't the first public appearance at a prestigeous art festival for me and my little business - like my Mom and I had been doing this for years.  My canvas name sign was hung, my name tag was straight, and all of a sudden it was time to open for business! And then there wasn't any time for nervous energy - as there wasn't more than five to six minutes where I wasn't chatting with some amazing person about my art, my travels, or their life.

I was ecstatic with all the positive comments as people strolled by my booth throughout the day.  I was thrilled when a passerby would point and ask their friend to look at one of my pieces.  And I was overwhelmed as the sales poured in. It was intriguing to me to hear the reasoning behind each purchase, especially my Burlington pieces.  I swapped stories of my hometown, beamed with pride as my art was appraised, and let the passion flood my little 10 ft by 10 ft space on that city street.  Even my snack of Sterzings potato chips brought nods of approval and glances of knowing my way.

Catching up with old friends and making new ones was another highlight to my day.  People that knew my family, remembered me when I was "only this tall", cheered me on and celebrated this new venture in my life.  An old neighbor of my grandmother's, my fifth grade teacher, dear friends I'd lost contact with, it was an honor to share with them the opening and launching of my business over the last year.


The humidity soared as the day went on, but my spirits soared higher. This day was filled with chatter, inspiration, and hometown pride.  See, this town, Burlington, is not like any other.  There is rich history here, and it is felt by all who traveled to walk up and down the Historic District during the Snake Alley Art Fair.  As I packed up my art that evening, I sighed deeply, satisfied I belonged.  My hometown and this art festival welcomed me with open arms and appraised me as a professional artist.  And for that, I am forever grateful.





PS A huge thank you to everyone who helped make my first public art festival a huge success!!  You know who you are, and you know I couldn't have done it without your love, support, prayers, encouragement, and equipment! Bless you abundantly :)





Comments

Popular Posts