The People of Ukraine 2013

TITLE:The People of Ukraine” 
DATA:     Ukraine, October 2013


I had no idea how quickly I could fall in love with a people-group. I also had no idea how easy it was to communicate with someone, even when you cannot speak to them in any spoken language. I learned to speak the language of love in a deep and divine way during my time in Ukraine. I spoke no Ukrainian, no Russian, not a lick of Hungarian; nothing that resembled any of the Eastern European languages native to that part of the world. All I had with me was my American English, a bit of sign language, and bits and pieces of Spanish, which kept wanting to escape my lips when trying to communicate with these beautiful people. But it was to no avail. I had no spoken language to speak, to be understood, or to understand. So I had to rely on something much more powerful – the language of love. A handshake, a hug, a touch here or there, a genuine smile, light in the eyes, respect and courtesy, a gift; these are the most powerful gestures of communication around the globe. These seemingly small acts of kindness and respect won the hearts of all with whom I crossed paths. These beautiful people, with their wrinkles, worn hands, and crooked-tooth smiles, warmed my heart and touched my soul in a profound way, as we learned a new set of communication rules, one unspoken word at a time. 

 





Photos taken with iPhone 4 in Ukraine, October 2013. 
Copyright retained by Amber John.

Work (Photos and writing)  may not be reproduced in any form without written consent of Amber John.

Comments

Popular Posts